! STOP BENDING NOW !

Sunday 2 November 2014

Dream fulfilled for pageant winner

When Keisha Corbeil was diagnosed at age 11 with scoliosis, the thought of becoming a pageant winner seemed an impossibility.


Keisha Corbeil was crowned Miss Teen Ontario North earlier this month and has qualified to compete a national pageant next summer

Keisha Corbeil was crowned Miss Teen Ontario North earlier this month and has qualified to compete a national pageant next summer

But after having an operation to correct her spine, she fulfilled her dream and was crowned Miss Teen Ontario North.


“It feels unbelievable,” she said. “I look at my crown and I think my dream has come true. I didn’t see myself doing pageants like this. It was really just last year that I learned there were pageants in Northern Ontario and that they were nothing like the pageants you see on TV. I became passionate about it really quickly.”

The 16-year-old Grade 11 École secondaire catholique Thériault student took home the prestigious title during the Miss Jr. and Miss Teen Ontario North Canada regional pageant held in Cochrane in October. Seventeen girls and their families travelled from all across the North to participate in the pageant. The girls went head-to-head in various categories and activities from giving a speech to performing a talent.

Corbeil said she still can’t believe that she was crowned.


“I couldn’t even think. They put the crown on my head and my eyes would get watery,” she said. “It was my third pageant and the first time I didn’t really think I would be crowned. It wasn’t my goal. I just wanted the whole experience and then I learned from it. The second pageant I got runner up. I told myself that this time

I’m really prepared for it.”


Corbeil said she drew inspiration from her experience with having scoliosis.


Most spines are in a straight line but Corbeil’s was angled at nearly 70 degrees. A few years later, her spine curved even more and she needed surgery. This required her to fly to Ottawa in order for the operation to happen in 2011. Received two titanium rods that were fused into her spine. The procedure corrected the spine but kept her from being able to bend her back.


To prepare for the pageant, Corbeil practised her walk, got sponsors, wrote her speech and worked on her talent, which was dancing. She said she incorporated her story of having scoliosis into the performance.

She said that the pageants she participates in aren’t like the ones seen on television where the highest points are attributed to beauty.


The crown means that Corbeil will be going to a national pageant competition next summer. She said she is excited to participate in the pageant and has already started doing research on it.


She added that anyone who is interested in participating in a pageant should give it a try.


“Don’t doubt yourself,” she said. “Don’t tell yourself you’re not pretty enough for that. That’s something I thought about. It doesn’t matter what you look like. Nothing matters. It’s about your personality. You have to go in and give it 100% and truly be yourself.”


She added that she’s taking donations for families in need until Christmas and will be partnering up with the Schumacher Lions Club. Donations can be anything from toys to clothes.

Those wishing to help out can contact Corbeil on Facebook or through email kc16@outlook.com. 



Source  :
timminspress , 28th oct 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment